Home Maintenance Quiz
It’s the weekend and you have a whole list of household chores to do. Oh, we know you’d rather be golfing or playing tennis or watching TV, but keeping your home in good shapeis important. Your home may be the biggest investment you will ever make. According to the National Association of Home Builders, taking good care of your home with regular maintenance is necessary to maintain its value and ensure it will provide a comfortable, safe shelter for you and your family for a long time.
Here is a short home maintenance quiz that will test your maintenance knowledge. While this quiz does not address every home maintenance project, it does provide helpful tips and reminders for chores you may have overlooked. For a more extensive quiz visit NAHB.org.
- How often do forced-air furnace filters need to be changed?
At least every three months during the heating season.
- What part of the faucet usually needs to be replaced when you have a water leak? The washer.
- Should you run hot or cold water through your garbage disposal?
- How often should the moving parts of garage doors be oiled? Every three months.
- What tools can you use to unclog your drains? A plunger and a plumber’s snake.
- What tool can be used to unclog a toilet? Coil spring-steel auger.
- What faucet part needs to be cleaned every three to four months?
Aerator—the screen inside the end of the faucet.
- What can you use for traction on icy sidewalks, steps and driveways?
Cat litter or sand—not salt as it damages the pavement.
- Where should the fire in your fireplace be built? On the andirons or grate, never on the fireplace floor.
- What will prevent soot and add color to the fire in your fireplace? Throw in a handful of salt.
- Where should your firewood be stored? Outside, away from your house and not directly on the ground.
- What helps keep unpainted concrete floors easy to keep clean? Concrete sealer.